Guild Mortgage Pros and Cons
- Offers a streamlined online process, including e-signatures on some closing documents
- Provides access to a dedicated loan officer for in-person support
- Offers a large selection of loans to choose from for borrowers with good and bad credit
- No home equity loans are available
- You must speak to a loan officer before applying for a loan online
- They aren’t transparent with their mortgage rates
Guild Mortgage Loan Types and Products
Guild Mortgage offers a large selection of loan products, including:
- Conventional Loans – Good credit borrowers with low debt-to-income ratios and 3% – 5% to put down are good candidates for this low-rate mortgage.
- FHA Loans – This government-backed loan is great for borrowers with less-than-perfect credit, high DTIs, or other unique qualifying factors. The FHA guarantee allows Guild Mortgage to offer more flexible guidelines.
- VA Loans – Veterans of the military can get a loan with flexible underwriting requirements and no down payment.
- USDA Loans – Low to moderate-income families who don’t currently own a home can get a USDA loan with no down payment and flexible guidelines. It must be your primary residence, and your income must fall within the guidelines.
- Jumbo Loans – If you need to borrow over $548,250, you’ll need an unconventional jumbo loan. Guild Mortgage offers a large variety of jumbo options at affordable prices.
- Rate/term Refinance – If you have a mortgage now but want to take advantage of lower rates or to change your loan term, Guild Mortgage offers great rate/term refinance options.
- Investment Property Loans – If you’re ready to invest in real estate beyond your primary residence, Guild Mortgage offers competitive rates and terms on investment loans
Guild Mortgage Rates
Guild Mortgage isn’t transparent with its rats online. A call to a loan officer and providing the information about your qualifying requirement, though, will give you an estimate of the rates Guild Mortgage would offer you. On average, Guild Mortgage offers competitive rates for most borrowers.
Guild Mortgage Fees and Terms
Guild Mortgage offers competitive fees and standard loan terms. Most borrowers secure a 15 or 30-year term, but they offer other terms if you ask as well.
Guild Mortgage doesn’t charge origination fees, which can save you thousands of dollars on your loan. Origination fees are charged in points or a percentage of your loan amount. One point equals one percent or $1,000 for every $100,000 you borrow.
How Guild Mortgage Works
Guild Mortgage is a hybrid lender. Initially, your application and the mortgage process are done in person.
The loan officer will consult with you, helping you decide what loan program is right for you. Once you discuss your options and whether you qualify, you can apply for the loan or get a pre-qualification online in the MyMortgage portal.
The portal is a great way to stay organized and up to date on your mortgage application. You can upload documents and view your dashboard to see the status of your loan and/or what documents are outstanding.
You can also check in with your loan officer via email or phone if you prefer a more personal touch to the mortgage process.
Guild Mortgage also offers the opportunity to e-sign some of the closing documents, including the mortgage note, making the closing process in person much easier.
How to Qualify for a Guild Mortgage
Guild Mortgage has many loan programs to choose from, each of which has different qualifying guidelines. On average, borrowers need the following to qualify for a mortgage:
- Minimum 580 credit score for FHA loans and minimum 620 score for VA or conventional
- Maximum 43% debt-to-income ratio unless you have compensating factors that allows Guild Mortgage to accept a higher DTI
- Stable income and employment for 2 years
- No recent bankruptcies or foreclosures
- Proof you have enough assets for the down payment and/or closing costs
Guild Mortgage Features and Benefits
You can do most of the mortgage process online with Guild Mortgage.
While you must talk to a loan officer to start the process, once you know the program you qualify for, you can handle the rest of the process online, including uploading your documents or electronically transferring documents from your employer or bank to Guild Mortgage.
Great First-Time Homebuyer Program
First-time homebuyers have a disadvantage because they don’t have a housing history or equity to take from a house to buy another.
Guild Mortgage makes it easy for first-time buyers to afford a home with its flexible underwriting guidelines and down payment programs.
If you don’t have a high enough money for a down payment on a house, they have special programs to make it more affordable for you to buy your first home.
Offers Homebuyers Discounts
Guild Mortgage believes in making the home buying process as easy as possible for borrowers. They do this by offering many homebuyer discounts and/or guarantees, including:
- Homebuyer Protection Program – Lock your interest rate for up to 90 days. You can take the lower rate one time without paying the typical fee lenders charge to change a locked-in rate if rates fall.
- Credit Approval Protection – If you were pre-approved and went through underwriting and the loan fell through, Guild Mortgage will pay up to $1,000 in any fees you incurred, including the home inspection, appraisal, or any other related expenses.
You may not be able to find everything on Guild Mortgage’s website, but when you talk to a loan officer, they are completely transparent with their rates, fees, and underwriting guidelines.
Guild Mortgage Pre-Approval Process
To get pre-approved at Guild Mortgage, you must first talk to a loan officer. This is your chance to explore the many loans programs Guild Mortgage offers so you can determine which loan is right for you.
Once you’re ready to apply, you can do so right on their website. You’ll see all updates in real-time and be able to upload documents for immediate approval.
It’s a streamlined process that is much faster than working with a loan officer in person.
Refinancing with Guild Mortgage
Guild Mortgage offers the opportunity to refinance your mortgage if you want to lower your rate or change your term.
To start, though, you must contact Guild Mortgage directly – they don’t offer refinance programs online.
How Does Guild Mortgage Compare to Other Lenders?
#1. Guild Mortgage vs. Better Mortgage
Better Mortgage is a completely online mortgage lender. They offer very low rates and fees. Some borrowers consider them the lowest cost lender in the business. They don’t charge origination fees and offer a variety of mortgage loans.
Better Mortgage’s focus is on conventional borrowers, though. If you have unique circumstances or don’t have the best credit, you may want to look elsewhere.
They started offering FHA government-backed loans with flexible guidelines, but their bread and butter are loans for borrowers with good credit.
>> More: Better Mortgage Review
#2. LoanDepot vs. Guild Mortgage
LoanDepot is another online mortgage lender. Like Guild Mortgage, they have a hybrid process with 200+ locations for borrowers to come to if they need support.
LoanDepot focuses on fast closings – closing faster than 50% of other lenders in the industry. They also offer a large selection of loans, much like Guild Mortgage.
>> More: LoanDepot Mortgage Review
#3. Guild Mortgage vs. Rocket Mortgage
Rocket Mortgage is a 100% online mortgage company. They are a division of Quicken Loans and offer fast closings with a streamlined experience.
If you don’t mind applying for and processing a loan with little human interaction, you can get your loan quickly.
They do offer extensive customer service and the option to work with a loan officer if you feel more comfortable. Rocket Mortgage offers conventional, FHA, and VA loans only, all with competitive interest rates.
>> More: Rocket Mortgage Review
How Do Guild Mortgage Rates Compare to the National Average?
Guild Mortgage rates are on par with the national average and the best mortgage lenders. While they don’t advertise their rates online, they are always comparable to the national average.
The rates you get depend on your qualifying factors, including your credit score and debt-to-income ratio.
Lenders also look at your loan-to-value ratio to determine how much they’ll charge you to borrow the funds.
Is Guild Mortgage a Good Choice for Mortgages?
Guild Mortgage is great for borrowers with a Guild Mortgage in their area. They focus mostly on the west coast.
If you’re in an area with a Guild Mortgage, you’ll get the best of both worlds – in-person and online support, competitive rates, and a streamlined process. You may also be eligible for certain credits to help make homebuying more affordable.
What Types of Mortgages Does Guild Mortgage Offer?
Guild Mortgage offers almost any type of mortgage a person could need, from conventional to government-backed and specialty loans. They offer FHA, VA, and USDA loans along with rate/term refinance loans and construction loans for those who want to build their own home.
Does Guild Mortgage Offer Mortgage Refinance?
Yes, Guild Mortgage offers a rate/term refinance. This is a program for homeowners who want to refinance into a lower interest rate or who want to change their loan term. For example, if you have an adjustable-rate loan and want a fixed-rate term or even if you have a fixed-rate term but want a 15-year versus a 30-year loan.
Is it Safe to Use Guild Mortgage?
You should always use caution when providing your financial information to anyone. As long as you protect your information, sending it securely, and not sharing your ID and password with anyone, Guild Mortgage is safe to use.
What Credit Score Do You Need to Qualify for Guild Mortgages?
Guild Mortgage uses the mortgage guidelines Fannie Mae, the FHA, VA, and USDA set for their loan programs. At a minimum, you’ll need a 580-credit score for an FHA loan and a 620 – 640 for a conventional, USDA, or VA loan.
Where Is Guild Mortgage Available?
Guild Mortgage is available in every state except New Jersey and New York. They have offices in 25 states, though they are focused on the west coast near Colorado and Idaho.
Who Is Guild Mortgage Best For?
Anyone can use Guild Mortgage. They offer a wide selection of loan programs for just about anyone. Whether you have perfect credit or bad credit, they have a loan program that’s just right for you. Working with a loan officer before applying for a mortgage can be the best way to make the right loan decisions.
Bottom Line: Guild Mortgage Review
Guild Mortgage is another competitive lender in the mortgage industry. If you’re looking for a large selection of loans, competitive rates, and great customer support, Guild Mortgage could be a great option for you.
Whenever you take out a mortgage, it’s a good idea to shop around with at least 3 lenders to make sure you’re getting the best rates and terms you deserve.